Monday 25 August 2008

I've done it! I've registered!

..despite still not having been on a bike! No backing out now!

This weekend has been a bit of a wash out weather wise, and I have come down with a heavy cold (which I am in the process of passing on to the rest of the family LOL) so the planned "test run" bike ride hasn't happened - that particular embarrassment will be saved for another day!

However, I did still get myself down to the local bike shop , so with the help of Peter at Welling Cycles I have selected a bike and safety equipment and have a quotation to submit through the government Cyclescheme which will save me VAT, Income Tax and National Insurance off the price :-) plus I get to repay the rest over 12 months so end result is a brand new bike, helmet, lock, lights etc etc for something around £20 per month. I'll hardly notice. Wish I could say the same for my muscles over the coming months!

I also have a new email buddy - Karen :-) who lives in Germany and is also signed up for the challenge - the plan is to spur each other on, and get each other through the tough times as well as becoming friends I hope! It is reassuring for me that Karen (and a few other ladies on the justgiving community) are "first-timers" and many have, like me, not ridden for a very long time. Others were in this position last year and went on to complete the ride & have one of the best experiences of their lives AND have registered to do it all again - If they can do it, so can I.

As soon as I recieve my official info pack I will be able to set up a fundraising page & link to it from here so you can see how that is going....

1 comment:

Jac’s Playground said...

Way to go Kirsti, what a brave thing to do and also a very worthwhile one too, I wish you well in this endeavour which I just know you will succeed at. Will be following this with interest. xx